Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Weinman doppelganger: A Bouchercon mystery

Dave White mentioned the curious case of the Weinman doppelganger. I, too, experienced this strange phenomenon when chatting with a fellow Bouchercon attendee. As we talked, he suddenly looked over my shoulder and said, "Hi, Sarah!" I turned to see a woman looking back at him, dressed in black and appearing puzzled.

I scrutinized her face, her shortish brown hair, and her rangy, athletic figure, and I smiled knowingly. "That's not Sarah Weinman," I told my friend.

"It's elementary, my dear McFetridge," I continued. "The key is the subtle difference between the pronunciations of Sarah and Sara."

For our perplexed companion was not the well-known proprietress of Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind, but rather another writer, this one named Sara J. Henry. The case grows still more complicated. Weinman, though living in New York, is from Ottawa. Henry, though living in Vermont, is from Nepean, Ontario, now a part of – Ottawa.

The mystery deepens.

=====================

As I waited to begin the journey that turned into Tuesday's post, a little girl scuttled across the waiting hall at Baltimore's Penn Station, calling, "Mammy, mammy!" But I'd been spending too much time with crime writers, because I at first heard her girlish cries as "Allan Guthrie!"

"I'd be worried about that kid," my travel companion said.

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger adrian mckinty said...

The more I dig into this the more I realise that Canadians are running the world.

October 16, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Three of the eight people sitting around the table in the post below this one are -- Need I say it?

October 16, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Kelly Link quote continues to be scarily appropriate.

October 16, 2008  
Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

What's even scarier is that we have everyone convinced we're so nice. It's all part of an evil plan...

October 16, 2008  
Blogger pattinase (abbott) said...

So that's who she was? I never saw the real Sarah then.

October 16, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

First Dan Aykroyd, then the two Sara(h)s ... And I know I don't have to tell you where Akroyd hs from.

October 16, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Patti, people didn't see you even though you were there but kept seeing Sarah Weinman when she wasn't there.

I am prepared to testify that not only did I see you at Bouchercon, but that we had a nice schmooze in the Radisson -- unless that was a Patti Abbott doppelganger.

October 16, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Signore anonymous, there's more. One day I was having coffee with John McFetridge, Declan Burke (non-Canadian) and an author named Howard Shrier whom I had not previously known. Not only is he Canadian, but it turns out that he was at high school with me. We had a chat about mutual acquaintances.

October 16, 2008  
Blogger Sara J. Henry said...

From the doppleganger herself: It was an odd feeling to be mistaken for someone else, but I met many people I wouldn't have otherwise - and would like to apologize to all those who thought they greeted the other Sarah, and didn't.
-Sara
http://sarainvermont.blogspot.com

October 16, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I can well imagine that the repeated mistaken sightings felt exceedingly odd. It's nice to see that you're taking advantage of it.

I think I'll try to look like Dennis Lehane next time, though Laura Lippman might have been a better choice at this Bouchercon.

October 16, 2008  
Blogger Dana King said...

Now that I've met Peter, the idea of him trying to look like Laura Lippman is very disturbing to me.

October 16, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Hmm, you're right. I have brown hair; she's blonde. It would never work.

October 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home