Monday, October 13, 2008

The big no sleep: Post-Bouchercon miscellany, Part I

My Bouchercon posts are not always the most orderly in the blogosphere. Herein, then, a scattering of highlights that may degenerate into a list of fondly recalled names:

The gift of music. Dana King had commented on my posts about music in crime fiction, suggesting Delbert McClinton when I asked for musicians whose songs made good noir stories. The first day of Bouchercon, despite not having met me before, he gave me a CD of McClinton's songs that he'd prepared.

When the sacred gin mill finally closes. A post-last-call discussion at the hotel bar Sunday night with, among others, master-of-all-noir-trades Eddie Muller, Linda L. Richards and Jodi and J. Kingston Rap Sheet. This one finally broke up when a member of the bar staff offered to put his mop in Eddie's hands so he (the bar guy) could go home and get some sleep.

Muller appeared briefly to consider the swap of professions, which would have made a photo almost as good as the one of him in bed with the rest of the Noircon Five.

Carousing is good. Brainy, funny people are better. Carousing with brainy, funny people may not be the highest form of human activity, but it will sure as hell do until something better comes along.

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

It was good to meet you. Too bad I'm too old for carousing.

October 13, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Join us for some early-evening low- or non-alcohol carousing in Indianapolis, then.

Yep, it was nice to see you and so many others in material form after knowing them only over the blogosphere.

October 13, 2008  
Blogger pattinase (abbott) said...

And you too, Peter. Let's do it again.

October 13, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Amen! What a picnic it was to meet everyone!

October 13, 2008  
Blogger Dana King said...

Peter,
I hope you enjoy the Delbert tunes. It was great to meet you. Your account of the trivia contest was better than actual attendance.

Looking forward to Indianapolis already.

October 14, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I bet that never in this country's history have so many people looked forward to visiting Indianapolis. I started looking forward to it before Baltimore ended.

I'll have to figure out what to do about that trivia quiz. The convention was such a blast, and the organizers did such a superb job, that I hate to call attention to one microscopic bump. I will say that the phrase "thick-tongued fooks" crossed my lips at least once and that when a woman with a cane sat down at our table, I asked her if its end was weighted, since I had a target in mind.

One of the questions asked each team to draw a hypthetical tattoo for some crime author (I forget who). Christa Faust was the captain of our team (though perhaps mistress would be more appropriate), and she knows a thing or two about tattoos. She drew our team's entry. We lost. Need I say more?

October 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home