Sunday, June 16, 2013

Keeping one's hair in Dublin, plus books I got at Crimefest

Left: Sculpture,
Archaeological Museum
of

 Morbihan, Vannes, Brittany. 
Above: View from the rear
 of my guesthouse, Gardiner
Street Lower, Dublin. All photos
 by your humble blogkeeper.
I opened two packages of books yesterday that I'd shipped home from Crimefest, and I must be a nice guy because I sent myself some good stuff. Among the highlights:
  1. Betrayal, by Giorgio Scerbanenco. This is a new translation of a novel by the master of Italian noir. Its previous English translation was released in the 1960s as Duca and the Milan Murders.
  2. The Killing Way, by Anthony Hays. A mystery set in Arthurian Britain might not ordinarily be my cup of tea, but this looks low on sorcery and faux-Celtic wiftiness, and high on low-down, dirty political intrigue.
  3. The Saint and Mr Teal, by Leslie Charteris, included in my book bag, talked up by panelist Zoë Sharp, and published in a handsome new trade paperback edition. Includes an entertaining tribute to P.G. Wodehouse in one character's name.
Because everyone else is doing it?
When the crew announced itself for my Aer Lingus flight from JFK to Dublin, I first produced my pistol, and I then produced my rapier. Then I realized that Farrell was not, in fact, the captain of the plane but merely a crew member, so I stowed my musical weapons under the seat in front of me and restored my seat back and tray table to their full upright and locked positions.

Muiredach's High Cross
(detail), Monasterboice,
County Louth, Ireland
Speaking of tunes one just might hear in Temple Bar of a Saturday or any other evening, I love the song, but, unless you're Luke Kelly reincarnated, could we vary the repertoire a bit, lads?

© Peter Rozovsky 2013

Neolithic
passage grave,

Loughcrew, County
Meath, Ireland


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger seana graham said...

I stayed on Lower Gardiner Street when I was there as well. Townhouse Hotel, by any chance? Although I'm sure there are other guesthouses nearby.

June 16, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Nope, the Avondale. But yes, that street and neighborhood are full of guesthouses, and one can even find an example of two of that relic of the 1990s and 2000s, the Internet and phone-call shop.

June 16, 2013  
Blogger seana graham said...

Yes, my sister sent in a resume to a company back home and landed a job while we were there at one of those very shops.

I suppose without a smart phone, I'd be lost there now.

June 16, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I managed. We are urban foragers, humans out of time.

But in Vannes, I even bought and used a phone card at a public phone!

June 16, 2013  
Blogger seana graham said...

And there was still a phone to use it on?

June 16, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Several, and neatly maintained, too--at the train station, naturally.

June 16, 2013  
Blogger Kelly Robinson said...

Wish I could have done some book buying on my trip, but I have a feeling I'll be back.

June 29, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Gutter Bookshop is good place to buy, and there's a good used/inexpensive shop near Trinity College where I've bought books, though not on this trip.

If you make it to Belfast, No Alibis is a mandatory stop.

June 30, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home