Monday, June 10, 2013

Get a clue and win a book (and we have a winner!)

Last week's "Play Where the @#%!^! is Detectives Beyond Borders? and win Adrian McKinty's latest novel" contest asked readers to name the Breton city where I'd spent the day, with the clue that the city's name "might prove a moving experience to readers of English who enjoy word play. Name the city," with one winner to receive a copy of I Hear the Sirens in the Street, McKinty's second novel featuring police officer Sean Duffy.

Several answers came in, both off-site and posted as comments and, while each was creative, none was correct. So here's another clue:

Good luck!
***
We have a winner! I'd come to Brittany to view Neolithic stone monuments, so it is fitting that the winner of the "Where the @#%!^! is Detectives Beyond Borders?" contest is from another region rich in such monuments: Wiltshire, in England. That reader knew, or figured out, from the ermine on the flag that I was in Vannes, pronounced van.

Know that, and it's child's play to figure out why the city's name is a moving experience for English-speaking lovers of word play. So congratulations to Amanda. She wins a copy of the U.S. edition of Adrian McKinty's novel I Hear the Sirens in the Street.

© Peter Rozovsky 2013

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

And the winner is . . . (perhaps). . . Nantes.

Bon jour!

June 10, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Ah, je suis désole. Pay careful attention to the wording of the original question. For those who have just joined us, that question read:

"The name of the city where I spent the day today might prove a moving experience to readers of English who enjoy word play. Name the city."

June 10, 2013  
Blogger Unknown said...

Je n'ai aucun indice.

With respect to the book giveaway, I was not seeking to receive a book. Instead, I could not resist the challenge.

J'abandonne. Au revoir.

June 10, 2013  
Anonymous Amanda said...

Vannes. But I don't get the joke, do I get the book?!

June 10, 2013  
Blogger Unknown said...

Moving "vannes" --- that could be the world's worst pun. Well done.

Robot word: carries.

Now, that is irony!

June 10, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Moving vannes it is, R.T. When making puns, one ought not to be content with being bad. One should strive to be the worst and, if falling short, to fall short honorably.

Amanda, you may not have got the joke, but you get the book. E-mail me at detectivesbeyondborders (at) earthlink (dot) net, and let me know where you'd like the book sent. Congratulations. You won a fine book.

June 10, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Amanda, I presume you recognized Vannes' flag or knew where to look it up. Either way, I'm impressed.

June 10, 2013  
Blogger Unknown said...

Peter, if you Google ermine and flag and Brittany, you (too) can discover what was probably Amanda's secret strategy. Alas, you and she outwitted me in the quest.

Of course, you know, j'abandonne -- according to some, especially in England -- is the national motto in some parts of France. I hope that does not offend anyone.

June 10, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Aha! You knew what to do, but you didn't do it. As for j'abandonne, earlier on the trip, I told a joke you might find congenial. Of course, I won't repeat it here.

June 10, 2013  
Anonymous Amanda said...

Didn't need google, just checked the pictures properties. :D Thanks Peter looking forward to getting the book! :) Amanda.

June 10, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Resourceful. Intelligent. Just the sort of reader this blog wants.

Congratulations again, Amanda. I received your address, and the book will be on its way when I get home.

June 10, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home