Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Crimefest 2010: Blame it on Yrsa

I met Yrsa Sigurðardóttir for the first time at Bouchercon 2008 in Baltimore. While we were there, Iceland's banking system crashed.

We met again at Bouchercon 2009 in Indianapolis, when Yrsa was on my translation panel and everyone's economy had crashed.

Now my attendance at Crimefest 2010 in Bristol next week is imperilled by ash from that damn volcano in Yrsa's damn country. Yrsa, quite naturally, is scheduled to attend the fest.

Here are today's questions: Has any country as small as Iceland ever produced so many good crime writers and so much natural and financial disaster in so short a time? And is it all Yrsa's fault?

And here's the list of Crimefest attendees. It includes Bill James, Colin Dexter, Maxim Jakubowski, Donna Moore, Malcolm Pryce, Martin Edwards, Ruth Dudley Edwards, and many, as the saying goes, more.

I'll join them and provide entertaining and informative accounts, geological upheaval permitting.

© Peter Rozovsky 2010

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sean Patrick Reardon said...

Wow, Colin Dexter at Crimefest 2010.I love Inspector Morse. The closest I'll get is the New England Crimebake in November. Cool blog and your other one seems like it would make good reading as well.

May 12, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks. Morse also has the coolest first name of any crime-fiction protagonist I can think of. I'm not sure any American author would have the guts to try something like it. Closest I can think of is Harry Bosch's real first name.

Re "the other one," if you mean my other blog, thanks. I should update it. One post every eight months is not quite the way to produce anything, I think.

May 12, 2010  
Blogger Martin Edwards said...

Look forward to seeing you there!

May 13, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

And I look forward to more well-moderated panels and to seeing who will finish second in Mastermind.

May 13, 2010  
Blogger Leighton Gage said...

It's not Yrsa.
It's the elves.
You must have moved a rock.

Wish I could be joining you guys.
Next year, maybe

May 15, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Those must be some seriously pissed-off elves. I expect Icelandic highways will take some devious detours the next few years just to be on the safe side.

You may be absent, but the Murder is Everywhere gang will be well represented.

May 15, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home