Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Five Bouchercons in pictures and words, plus what I'll do at a sixth

Wandering bridesmaids;
Indianapolis 2009
Oh, sure, you probably think Bouchercon is fun. But I have three 7:30 a.m. breakfast appointments at Bouchercon 2013 in Albany, N.Y., which begins Thursday, and odds are I'll make at least one of them.
Your humble blog keeper
with morose Icelandic
crime writer Arnaldur
Indriðason; Baltimore
2008

While I'm darning my socks and laying out my Sunday best, here are some photos from my five previous Bouchercons, courtesy of Anita Thompson, Ali Karim, and your humble blog keeper.

Your humble blog keeper
with ebullient American
crime writer Christa
Faust; Cleveland 2012

Ali Karim and Jon Jordan,
annual festive post-Bcon
dinner; Indianapolis 2009
This year I'll moderate two panels. On Thursday at 4 p.m., it's "World War II and Sons," with authors James R. Benn, J. Robert Janes, John Lawton, Martin Limón, and Susan Elia MacNeal in a discussion of crime fiction set in wartime and its run-up and aftermath.

Fellow attendees on way to
annual festive post-Bcon
dinner; St. Louis 2011
On Friday at 10:20 a.m., it's Goodnight, My Angel: Hard-Boiled, Noir, and the Reader's Love Affair With Both," with Eric Beetner, Mike Dennis, Dana King, Terrence McCauley, and Jonathan Woods. Sign up, drop in, and come ask some probing questions.

Here's the complete Bouchercon 2013 schedule. If I don't see you there, I'll see you here, with some pictures and posts.

© Peter Rozovsky 2013
 
After Bouchercon, San Francisco 2010

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Stu Neville and I are cooking up plans for Long Beach. McFetridge is trying to rope in Burke. Could be a mighty session over there.

September 17, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I hope you lot don't get any 8 a.m. panels. Because if I'm the moderator, I'll want you in the green room and sober by half past seven.

September 17, 2013  
Blogger seana graham said...

I'm sure you guys will have a blast this year, despite early morning wakeup calls.

September 17, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

And I hope you will join the boys in Long Beach.

September 17, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I don't really have to be conscious and alert until 3 p.m. Thursday. And I don't think any panels have started before 9 since Baltimore. I remember this because one such hyper-early panel that I attended was surprisingly well attended.

The 7:30 meeting is for breakfast with a group that includes Ali Karim. People tend to stay wide awake in his presence.

September 17, 2013  
Blogger Unknown said...

Off topic, Peter, but wanted to drop in to thank you for recommending William McIlvanney - I just finished Laidlaw. Brilliance, in every sentence...

September 19, 2013  
Blogger Kelly Robinson said...

You got to snuggle up to a barefoot Christa Faust? That's on my bucket list.

(I just sent you an email, and forgot to identify myself as the Book Dirt proprietress, as if I'm so noteworthy you'll just know who I am. Anyway, it's me.)

September 19, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Dave: Thanks for the note. I will pass your comment on to the friend who first recommended McIlvanney to me. I recently reread Laidlaw, and I concur in your judgment.

September 19, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...


Kelly, I knew who you were when I read the e-mail, and i will try to remember to look for the item in question.

Christa was one of the first authors I met at my first convention, and therefore one of the first authors I ever met anywhere. Unfortunately she is not at this Bouchercon. A forensic scientist looking at the photo might she was snuggling up to me rather than the reverse, though.

September 20, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home