Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bouchercon 2011 highlights

But first say hello to two friends I met (left and right) at the St. Louis Art Museum after Bouchercon. And now, further highlights of my favorite edition to date of the world's biggest mystery and crime fiction convention:

1) The restaurant near the convention hotel that delighted my three English lunch companions by serving corned-beef bollicks (sic).

2) Quaffing a Schlafly Oktoberfest or two at the hotel bar with Eric Stone, an author new to me whose books I will begin reading once I get done with Bouchercon posts.

3) Trying to keep up with Eoin Colfer and Colin Cotterill during Saturday's CRANKY STREETS: WHAT'S SO FUNNY ABOUT MURDER?panel.

4) The waitress who yelled at Jon Jordan and who, having no truck with tagliatelle, served me instead a plate of "tailgate pasta."

5) St. Louis' Walk of Fame, along Delmar Boulevard in the Loop. Many cities have Walks of Fame, but how many include Betty Grable, Bob Gibson, William S. Burroughs, and Phyllis Diller — on the same block?

© Peter Rozovsky 2011

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Liz said...

Just came across this and thought you might enjoy.
http://www.nationalpunctuationday.com/

Reality after Bouchercon. Enjoyed your pictures.

September 25, 2011  
Blogger seana graham said...

I like your new friends. Although really, they might just as well be foes.


v word=thful. There ought to be an 'ought' but there is naught.

September 25, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks, Liz. A colleague told me about National Punctuation Day at work this evening. The subject is of natural interest to copy editors.

Did you see this post I made during Bouchercon?

September 25, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Foes, you say, Seana? You think the sly smile on the leftmost friend might conceal bad intentions?

I can't say I'm anywhere close to understanding the art of Pre-Columbian America or Africa or the Pacific islands, but I love the (to me) novel forms.

Caught without an ought for that slot? Rot!

September 25, 2011  
Anonymous Liz V. said...

Peter, read and enjoyed that post.

September 25, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Liz, his comments impressed me to no end. To many people who accept money for setting words to paper, punctuation is nothing but a set of old rules or else a fashion closet. (Em-dashes have replaced semi-colons as the mars most vogueishly misused for the humble period or comma.) It's nice to meet someone who understands how it can shape and enhance a piece of writing.

September 25, 2011  
Blogger Dana King said...

I read Stone's LIVING ROOM OF THE DEAD and liked it a lot. We traded a couple of emails over it and he's a very nice man, to boot. He's on my ever-growing list of authors I really need to make time to read, which expands faster than I have time to read them.

September 25, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I bought Shanghaied, the fourth in his Ray Sharp series, because I liked the opening. I'm told I should think about starting with an earlier book.

September 25, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home