Thursday, April 30, 2015

Detectives Beyond Borders puts the comics in the Philadelphia Inquirer

The Black Hood. (Courtesy of Dark Circle Comics)
My article on Duane Swierczynski's Black Hood comic appears in Thursday's Philadelphia Inquirer  (along with one of my photos). See what Duane has to say, along with comments from his editor, Alex Segura of Dark Circle comics; and props to artist Michael Gaydos and colorist Kelly Fitzpatrick.

Duane Swierczynski. Photo
by your humble blogkeeper.
"David Goodis was a huge inspiration," Swierczynski says. "His doomed characters roam the dark Philly streets after a major fall from grace. That's pretty much what happens to Greg Hettinger, the man under the hood."
Read the full article.

© Peter Rozovsky 2015

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger seana graham said...

Nice article, Peter, and nicely placed for National Comic Book Day.

April 30, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks, though I think the timing was a coincidence. But it would be wonderful if the piece got people thinking about comics and visiting their local comics shops.

April 30, 2015  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Peter

Agree with Seana. Very nice article and well done buddy!

May 01, 2015  
Blogger Unknown said...

Peter, thanks for offering this posting. I gave up "comic books" in the early 60s but will make an exception for this graphic novel. You have corrupted me!

May 01, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Adrian: Thanks. I liked the book, and everyone involved was eager to speak about his work on it. That helps.

By the way, I chatted with Stuart Neville at the Edgar Awards Wednesday night, and I'll see him again in Bristol in a week and a half. Jet-setting is fun.

May 01, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Robert, I write about comics from time to time. My only complaint about this one and other good ones is that an issue goes by too quickly. That's why I usually buy comics in hardcover or trade-paperback compilations. Not this one, though. With Black Hood, I can follow the story as it happens.

May 01, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Adrian: Years ago you mentioned that you liked Dennis Tafolya's novel Dope Thief. Tafoya wrote the short historical essay that accompanied the first issue of The Black Hood. Some talented people are involved in this project.

May 01, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home