Saturday, July 04, 2009

Allan Guthrie: Family guy

I've just spent a long mid-week holiday break playing miniature golf and filling trash bags full of old shingles and insulation. This cut into my reading time, but I shall be back up to speed tomorrow. When I return, I'll have another post about Colin Cotterill's spirit explorations in Curse of the Pogo Stick, which I've just finished, and a remark or two about Allan Guthrie's Savage Night, which took up a nice chunk of my train ride back from the mini-golf and shingle-schlepping.

For now, a couple of thoughts on the Guthrie:

1) The man could write a mean sitcom or screwball comedy if he set his mind to it. I'd like to see him write a script for The New My Three Sons.

2) Page 157 contains the funniest line I have read about that staple of 21st-century crime writing, the changing urban landscape.

3) That line is not as funny as two on Page 160:
"Not that they were in a hurry, but still. Effie had a new respect for butchers."
and
"They'd all sat around drinking. Took awkward sips and smiled sadly at each other. Dad kept saying, `I can't believe he's dead,' till Effie told him to shut up."
© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger pattinase (abbott) said...

We used to play miniature golf on a course on Easton Road in Glenside. I wonder if it's still there. It's rare to meet miniature golf fans.

July 04, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I can ask some colleagues who live out that way if the course is still there.

Hmm, can you imagine a community rallying to protest against the proposed demolition of a miniature-golf course for condo development?

And, though I enjoyed and have always enjoyed the game, the primary reason for our round was my seven-year-old nephew.

July 04, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just found your blog, Peter and loving it. Keep up the good work, man.

July 04, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Many thanks!

July 04, 2009  
Blogger Linkmeister said...

Is Two and a Half Men the new My Three Sons? Not that I've ever seen more than trailers for upcoming shows of the former, while I watched the latter every week in my younger days.

July 04, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Someone I was talking to recently mentioned Two and a Half Men favorably. I may look in.

As good as it may be, I doubt it would have the edge Allan Guthrie gives his family stories.

July 04, 2009  
Blogger John McFetridge said...

You're onto something with this story about the community rallying to save the mini golf course.

July 04, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks. I like the idea, too.

I guess I'm a mythical creature who emerges from his lair every thousand years to write three hundred or so words of fiction.

I even just thought of a title.

July 04, 2009  
Blogger Linkmeister said...

"I even just thought of a title."

Not In My Putt-Putt Yard?

July 05, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Better than that!

July 05, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Patti, a colleague who lives in Glenside says he's unsure if the "charmingly rinky-dink" miniature golf course on Easton Road is still open.

July 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home