Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A meaty book from Derry

Planning to be in Northern Ireland for America's birthday? Get yourself to Easons, Foyleside in Derry from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. July Fourth to join Garbhan Downey in celebrating the release of his novel War of the Blue Roses.
"The subject is roses," Detectives Beyond Borders wrote in April, "specifically a competition to design a peace garden for the White House – and if you think gardening is a clean pursuit, this book will shock you. Downey brings back some of the characters from his previous books, tough, savvy, engaging and, in some cases, unscrupulous folks from Ireland north and south, and he throws in Americans and Englishmen this time. These last give Downey fresh new satirical targets."
Newly pertinent professional ethics prevent me from saying much more about the book, but I hope you'll find the proofreading satisfactory.

====================
Here's what I've written about Roses and Downey's four previous books of political crime comedy (His Yours Confidentially made my short list of best international crime fiction published in 2008).

And here's Downey's Web site for info about the books, a promotional video for War of the Blue Roses, and some covers that will make you smile.

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Susan Bearman said...

Sadly, I'll be in Southern Evanston, not Northern Ireland this 4th. Happy America's birthday to those celebrating in Ireland.

July 01, 2009  
Blogger Linkmeister said...

"Newly pertinent professional ethics prevent me from saying much"

Doing a little moonlighting, Peter? Or have you changed employers (from newspapers to publishing? Yikes! Frying pan to fire!)?

July 01, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I join you in wishing a Happy Fourth to those who'll celebrate in Ireland. Like you, I'll be in the U.S., though Philadelphia is not a bad place to be for the Fourth of July.

July 01, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Your first guess was right, Linkmeister. I haven't changed employers; I'm just getting a little work on the side.

July 01, 2009  
Blogger Linkmeister said...

Good for you.

July 01, 2009  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Garv is a very very funny guy. Definitely worth going to see him. I will just miss him by a day or so more's the pity.

July 03, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Yep, L. Meister, this was decidedly one of the more enjoyable jobs I've ever done. In this age when those of us with jobs are told we must be grateful that we have them, it was a real gift to be able to do some work that was pure fun.

July 04, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Adrian, that's just rubbing it in that I'll be missing your reading and that I also missed Stuart Neville's and John Connolly's. No Alibis is the center of the universe, and I'm somewhere out there among the dimmer stars.

July 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home