Thursday, July 02, 2009

Colin Cotterill has fun with the spirits

In previous books Colin Cotterill invoked the recent history and the spiritual traditions of Laos. In the early pages of Curse of the Pogo Stick, he has similar respectful fun with ancient history and spirits.

After narrating how the Hmong people lost their earliest written records, Cotterill offers this:
"The spirit of the first-ever Hmong shaman, See Yee, looked up from the Otherworld and was mightily pissed that his people could be so careless."
Good fun, I'd say though, on the evidence of my previous reading of Cotterill, not at all out of character.

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger seana graham said...

This just arrived in paperback today. Unfortunately, I haven't even read the first one yet, though the series has been recommended many times to me. I have a long way to go...

July 03, 2009  
Blogger petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Wanted to wish you a Happy Fourth, Peter! And didn't you mention you are from Canada? A belated Happy Canada Day! :))

July 03, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Seana, they're all worth reading. My only qualm about the series so far is one of the titles: Disco for the Departed. But I've enjoyed the four that I've read so much, I'm happy to cut Cotterill a bit of slack.

It is not necessary to read the books in order, but reading the previous books before this one will preserve a bit of suspense with respect to one supporting character.

July 04, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks, PM, and a happy Fourth to you. I should make a post for Canada day next year.

In fact, I probably would not have made a post for July Fourth but for Garbhan Downey's reading. The date was a clever choice for the reading, since much of its action takes place in the U.S., and the (fictional) U.S. president and vice president are prominent figures in the book.

July 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home