Sunday, July 13, 2008

Daggers out

The Crime Writers Association announced the winners of its Dagger awards this week:

Duncan Lawrie Dagger: Frances Fyfield, Blood From Stone
Duncan Lawrie International Dagger: Dominique Manotti, Lorraine Connection
John Creasey (New Blood) Dagger: Matt Rees, The Bethlehem Murders aka The Collaborator of Bethlehem in the U.S. (Read the Detectives Beyond Borders interview with Rees.)
Ian Fleming Steel Dagger: Tom Rob Smith, Child 44
Non-Fiction Dagger: Kesper Aspden, Nationality: Wog – The Hounding of David Oluwale
Dagger in the Library: Craig Russell
Short Story Award: Martin Edwards, "The Bookbinder's Apprentice"
Debut Dagger: Amer Anwar, Western Fringes

Shortlistees include Sian Reynolds (read the Detectives Beyond Borders interview with Sian Reynolds here), Duncan Lawrie International Dagger for her translation of Fred Vargas' This Night's Foul Work; Colin Cotterill, Duncan Lawrie Dagger for The Coroner's Lunch; and Andrea Camilleri and translator Stephen Sartarelli, Duncan Lawrie International Dagger for The Patience of the Spider.

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm continually assaulted by advertisements and praise for "Child 44". I suppose it's this guy's breakout novel and will soon enough be a movie. I'm interested, but I'm not buying the hardcover. I need a portable, easy to manipulate version for the bus and train.

I look up "The Patience of the Spider" and found that it was, like, Book 8 or something in a series, which means I have to read the first book. I will soon enough, but I have an overflowing bookshelf of stuff to read as it is.

July 13, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I have a not entirely rational wariness of novels that are unanimously praised to the skies, such as Child 44. The Patience of the Spider is the eighth in its series, but it can be read safely out of series order, as can the other Salvo Montalbano books.

July 13, 2008  
Blogger Sucharita Sarkar said...

Wow, crime fiction's such a growing area. And the titles are so interesting... I especially loved 'The Patience of the Spider'. Is there a murder in the 'parlour' there, as in "won't you come into my parlour, said the spider to the fly?" Seems a perfect setting for a Miss Marple.

July 13, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

No, there is no parlour, not is there a fly. The Patience of the Spider refers to a trait shared by the spider and the protagonist. I think you might like the book, and I recommend it highly.

July 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home