Friday, July 11, 2008

The Bread line ends

Readers in Northern Ireland, New Mexico and British Columbia knew that author Timothy Hallinan was associated with the 1970s group Bread. That knowledge wins them copies of Hallinan's novels A Nail Through the Heart and The Fourth Watcher.

(A notice here offers a bit of background to Hallinan's musical career, though the last sentence contains an obvious problem of tense.)

Update: In a comment on this post, Hallinan sets the musical record straight and offers a fact I had not previously known about an Oscar-winning mega-hit song from the 1970s.

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Technorati tags:

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Linkmeister said...

I'll be darned. It goes to show how successful David Gates was at self-promotion; I barely knew the names of the other members of the band, and I (blush) own two or three of their vinyl albums.

July 11, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I read a bit about Bread once I started reading A Nail Through the Heart. Apparently, Hallinan played bass in a pre-Bread group, some of whose members later became part of Bread. Hallinan apparently gets a credit on the first Bread record. Perhaps you could check if that's one of the albums you own.

Gates apparently had a falling out with Bread co-founder James Griffin over who would get to write the group's singles. (Remember singles?) Apparently Gates was as successful at self-prompotion, or just plain successful, as you say.

July 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Pleasure Fair, which was the band I was in with Robb Royer, a founding member of Bread, made an album for Universal Records that was produced by David Gates. David, Jimmy Griffin, and Robb went on to form Bread, which turned into the David Gates Show. I co-wrote a couple of songs that were on the Bread albums. And Robb and Jimmy (Jimmy died last year, sad to say) were terrific writers who won an Oscar for the song "For All We Know" from the movie "Lovers and Other Strangers." The song was a gazillion-copy hit for The Carpenters.

I never played anything -- I wrote lyrics and sang. Sort of.

July 11, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

And there's a firsthand account of stuff that I just cribbed from Web sites. Thanks.

I remember "For All We Know": a nice song, and probably something close to an American standard. I'd have guessed that Jimmy Webb or someone like that wrote it.

July 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home