Sunday, April 13, 2008

NoirCon 2008: Eat to the beat

Two of the people whom it was my pleasure to meet at NoirCon, Christa Faust and Ed Pettit, posted similar remarks about the event's raucous awards banquet.

Here's Faust's account, in part:

"There were uniformed police in black rubber gloves lined up to frisk everyone entering that half of the restaurant (which incidentally was where the only bathrooms were located.) The food was lousy, mostly bland, uninspired Chinese junk that even their hottest hot sauce couldn’t save, but the parade of chubby Cambodian hotties in micro minis and platform heels more than made up for it.

"The high-decibel Cambodian warbling continued all through the meal and the actual award ceremony. Nothing but a thin, folding wall separated us from the festivities. ... Meanwhile Bruen is just hanging his head in the background and dying a long slow death. It was hilarious, excruciating and surreal. I’ve been to way too many boring, endless rubber chicken dinners at conventions in the past, but whatever else you may say about this event, it was anything but boring."
Here's part of Pettit's:

"There was even tight security ... with police searching each and every partygoer before they were allowed to enter their party. The music was so loud that the presenters could barely be heard giving their congratulatory speeches to the honorees, Bruen and McMillan. But when it came time for Bruen to give his thanks, he showed how loud an Irishman can be. The whole event was surreal. And we loved every minute of it. Who wants to be at another boring awards ceremony?"
And here's a clip from a different concert at the same restaurant that gives an accurate impression of what it was like trying to listen to the NoirCon speeches.



Me, I liked the quiet conversation. Since there was no way I'd hear much of what was happening on the NoirCon stage, I surrendered myself to pleasant chat with my convivial tablemates.

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Geoff McGeachin said...

What a way to start my week – I fell about laughing at the concept of a combined Cambodian Pop Star Karaoke Night/NoirCon Writers Awards in a Philadelphia Vietnamese restaurant and then the video finished me off.

It’s around 17 hours Sydney/LA plus the cross-country flight but with the possibility of a night like that and a real Philly cheese steak I could be tempted next year. I’d probably be seriously jet lagged but I’m sure that would only add to the over-all effect.

Geoff

April 13, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I probably missed vocal nuances that distinguished the NoirCon performance from the one on the video clip, but the general effect was similar. I shall tell the organizers that there has been a request to return to Saigon Maxim next year.

One of Philly's best cheesesteak places was within easy walking distance of the main conference site, but the way, and I was pleased to be able to chow down with some crime-fiction figures whom I admire.

April 13, 2008  
Blogger Linkmeister said...

Geoff, there's always Left Coast Crime next year on the Big Island of Hawai'i. I'm not sure how many Vietnamese restaurants there are in Kona/Waikoloa, though.

Come to think of it, air transport there might be a tad difficult, given Aloha Air's bankruptcy two weeks ago.

April 14, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'm not sure the music has to be Cambodian or the restaurant Vietnamese as long as the music is loud.

April 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home