Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tales From a Train: The Judy Bobalik Dia Sin Pantalones

(Photos by your humble blogkeeper_
My second day on the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Los Angeles began with words no leisure traveller wants to hear: "LAST CALL FOR BREAKFAST!" So I high-tailed it to the dining car wearing nothing but a pair of lounge pants (just a fancy word for pajamas or long underwear), a T-shirt, my gray sweater, and my brown Rockports, and I stayed that way the entire day, except for a brief stop in Raton, New Mexico, when I put on pants to brave the high-desert snow. Just try that on a plane.
*
The multi-headed sculpture above lives at the Art Institute of Chicago and depicts Karttikeya, the principal Hindu god of war.  Its 12th-century sculptor, and the tradition in which he or she worked, must have had some clear-headed ideas about the effects of war if they depicted its god as able to see in all directions.

These dancing beauties from the Khmer period in Cambodia (c. 10th century), on the other hand, are apt to encourage more cheerful thoughts.

And finally, just because this would not be a Detectives Beyond Borders travel post without a photo of buildings or trees, here's a photo, also from Chicago, of buildings and trees.

© Peter Rozovsky 2013

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Photographe à Dublin said...

I have to admit I dislike train travel and find our local urban rail systems barely tolerable.

Did you get many drive-by shooting shots of landscapes as you went past. It must be very enjoyable from that point of view.

December 12, 2013  
Blogger Harvee said...

The Art Institute of Chicago -one of my favorite hang-outs.

Harvee
Book Dilettante

December 12, 2013  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

Just in passing, did you know that "Graveland" by Alan Glynn is to be made into a film?

December 12, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

P à D: Local urban train systems are like local urban buses: tolerable if punctual and not too crowded. Long-distance rail travel, on the other hand, is unbeatable.

Those trees I included in Sunday's post are just two of many, many drive-by landscape shots I took on mu long trip.

December 12, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Harvee, the Art Institute would very likely be one of my favorite handouts if I lived in Chicago. It's one of the world's great museums..

December 12, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Tales, I think I had heard that Graveland was to become a movie. Handled well, it could be brilliant.

How far along is the film? Is it in production yet? Contracts signed?

December 12, 2013  
Blogger Photographe à Dublin said...

I've posted a link on your Facebook site. It's early days yet, I think, but should go through.

December 13, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

That's good news; thanks. I hope the movie does justice to the novel.

December 13, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home