Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Bouchercon 2013: This was their finest panel; Perry on TV; Gerritsen on the fiddle

View from my Bouchercon hotel at night
I admit I was proud of the line with which I ended the short but informative introduction to my "World War II and Offspring" panel at Bouchercon 2013:
"And so, if Bouchercon and its panels last a thousand years, men will still look back and say, `This was their finest fifty-five minutes.'"
Anne Perry, Tess Gerritsen at guests-of-honor panel,
B'con 2013. Photos by your humble blog keeper.
I also liked what Anne Perry said when talk at Sunday's guests-of-honor panel turned to television. "When you watch TV," she said, "you get an endless array of gestures and faces."

I have not read Perry, but if I do, I'll look for signs of the concentration on expressions and gestures that television can provide. With all the talk about this being a golden age of television (The Wire, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad all got at least one mention at Bouchercon), and with all the talk of season-long story arcs and the doth-protest-too-much proclamations that, by God, this, that, or the other greatest television show ever is just like a novel, it was refreshing to be reminded that television is a visual medium. I like the way Perry's mind works.

Tess Gerritsen, pictured above with Perry, said during the same panel that she likes to play the Irish fiddle and sit in at traditional music sessions both at home and on visits to Ireland. Slainte, Tess.

© Peter Rozovsky 2013

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dana King said...

The 55 minute line was a winner, and a good way to separate the wheat from the chaff, historically speaking.

September 26, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I ask the room volunteers to separate the historical wheat from the historical chaff in my panels. That's why the line got a big laugh, and the hallway outside looked like a threshing room floor.

September 26, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home