Monday, November 05, 2012

Sour on Swedes plus more on NoirCon

The wise and discerning keeper of the Crime Scraps Review blog, long a champion of Scandinavian crime fiction, asks after reading Autumn Killing by Mons Kallentoft: "Are we now getting the average Swedish crime novel translated simply because it is Swedish?"
Back in Philadelphia, Jeremiah Healy is the latest NoirCon 2012 attendee to weigh in with his thoughts on the conference: 
"This will be my third NoirCon, and I attended the first two. I think my favorite story from the conference/convention was learning that David Goodis didn't just write noir: He also lived it, and probably more from desperation than enjoyment. ...

"NoirCon is different from most other conferences/conventions in that it is dedicated to a sub-genre of crime writing, something like the EyeCons (focusing on private-investigator fiction) sponsored by Gary Niebuhr and Ted Hertel in Milwaukee and Robert Randisi and Christine Matthews in St. Louis. As a result, it's like a wine-tasting dedicated to one varietal, say Pinot Noir (sorry), and therefore an event in which all the attendees have a common, if narrower, interest."
© Peter Rozovsky 2012

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Blogger Becca Lostinbooks said...

I am new to Noir fiction but I love Noir films, so I need to add some of these to my to read list.

Also, great question about the Swedish novels. It is the question of more accessible literature versus quality accessible literature I suppose.

November 05, 2012  
Blogger Kelly Robinson said...

I'm dying to go to Noir Con. I thought this would be the year, but I ended up as PR person for an event happening around the same time. Maybe next year.

November 05, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Becca, I always add new authors to my list when Noircon comes around. Most of my crime reading is from outside the U.S., so Noircon always a few exciting new names for me. My posts last week under the title "Why They're Coming to Noircon" might give you a few more suggestions.

As for the Swedish novels, I think the question is purely commercial. Publishers think Swedish and other Scandinavian crime novels sell, so Swedishness becomes a bigger consideration than quality when they decide what to publish.

November 05, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

In two years, Kelly. Noircon happens in alternate years, and I hope you're well-enough established in your job by this time in two years that you can take the time off.

November 05, 2012  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home