Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Thuglit at the Bar

discovered this week that some folks had staged a Noir at the Bar in New York, adding to a list of Noir at the Bar cities that includes L.A., Austin, Toronto, St. Louis, and the place where it started, right here in Philadelphia.

The New Yorkers brought in some good people to read, including Wallace Stroby, but the big find for me was Todd Robinson, because he's the Thuglit Web zine guy. I'd never read Thuglit even though it published authors like Stuart Neville and Hilary Davidson. But I'm a fan now, based on "Rags to Riches" by Joe Clifford and "Five Kilos" by Mike Wilkerson, both in Issue #38, and I've bought Robinson's own collection of stories, Dirty Words, plus Blood, Guts, and Whiskey (Thuglit Presents), a collection stories, most of which appeared first in the Web zine.

The blog post where I learned about the New York event properly credits Jed Ayres and Scott Phillips for what they've done with Noir at the Bar in St. Louis. But Ayres and Phillips, those generous gents, know how to acknowledge their inspirations.

© Peter Rozovsky 2012

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Brian Lindenmuth said...

Nik Korpon and I have been talking about doing a Noir at the Bar Baltimore. So maybe...

And of course we'd be happy to have you down.

Also we (Snubnose Press) will be publishing Joe Clifford's short story collection and debut novel this year.

June 12, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks in re Clifford and Noir at the Bar. I like the simple idea that Scott and Jed had of brining in a bunch of writers rather thna just one, Is that what you're talking about doing in Baltimore?

June 12, 2012  
Blogger Brian Lindenmuth said...

Yeah, if we get it off the ground we will invite multiple authors.

June 13, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

That could be fun. I've been trying to think of way to revive my original Noir at the Bar in new, bigger, more dynamic form. Bringing in multiple writers would be one way to do that. The child is father of the man. But please keep me posted. Given sufficient notice, I'd gladly rearrange my schedule and come down. Naturally I'd also promote the event here.

June 13, 2012  
Blogger Anonymous-9 said...

I want a Noir at the Bar in Los Angeles!

June 15, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Like this or this?

June 15, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home