Saturday, March 17, 2012

Eyfoh zeh?

Israel has gone through many demographic changes in recent decades, becoming a much more international country. It was a stirring experience to hear an Ethiopian speak Hebrew in Tel Aviv this evening, though I'd have enjoyed the moment more if the words had not been "Eyfoh zeh? (Where is it?)" and the speaker not a taxi driver to whom I'd just given my destination.

Earlier, a fellow bus passenger had helped me out by asking the driver at a rest stop where the bathrooms were, the first time I'd heard a Nepalese person speak Hebrew. And my hotel clerk was a gregarious Finn. So much for stereotypes.

© Peter Rozovsky 2012

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger seana graham said...

Sounds like you're having a grand trip, Peter.

March 17, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Your impression is correct.

March 18, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home