Monday, September 12, 2011

Martin Limón on cleanliness and Korea

Bouchercon starts Wednesday night. While writing a list of questions for my panelists (and checking it a lot more than twice), I found these cultural observations from Martin Limón. The first is from his novel The Wandering Ghost. The second is from Buddha's Money:

"`She's very clean,' the landlady told us, `for an American.'"

and

"If anyone in the West thinks of them at all, it is as rice farmers or merchants or tae kwon do instructors. But Koreans have been sailors and fishermen since before history began."

One does not normally think of Korea as a seafaring nation, so that second passage gets me curious about the country's history. Who says crime fiction can't be a spur to learning?
***
Martin Limón will be part of my “NEVER LET ME GO: PASSPORT TO MURDER” panel on Saturday, Sept. 17, 1 p.m., at Bouchercon 2011.

© Peter Rozovsky 2011

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous I.J.Parker said...

Peter, authors are incredibly grateful for questions. Do not worry! They'll love you. Their job is easy. All they have to do is answer.
And you ask such very good questions.

September 12, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks. That's good to hear. I enjoy the preparation and the discussion, and someone must think I do a good job. I moderated one panel at Bouchercon in 2009, two last year, and this year I have three.

Hmm, I think I may put up a post about preparing for a panel.

September 12, 2011  
Blogger seana graham said...

Anyone reading your posts over the last few weeks would know that you have no intention of 'just winging it.'

September 13, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I've just finished writing up the questions for Saturday's humor panel!

September 13, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home