Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bouchercon, Day -1: Friends, Romans, countrymen ... lend me your Yrsa

Arrived in San Francisco after a productive flight, on time but jet-lagged. Was about to give up on my 9 p.m. meeting at the convention hotel with panelist Yrsa Sigurðardóttir when she showed up to deliver a copy of her new book, Ashes to Dust. Then the floodgates opened.

I had one of my panels drinking at one table, the other at another, and the estimable Christa Faust with her entourage at a third. I ran shuttle-hospitality missions among the tables with no great result except the possible germ of a revolution in the distribution of crime fiction in South Africa.

But all good things must come to an end when one has an 8 a.m. breakfast the next day. On the way back to my hotel, I found a familiar face enjoying a late-night pick-me-up in front of his hotel after a hellishly long travel day. Nothing says Bouchercon like Ali Karim with a glass of gin in his hand.

© Peter Rozovsky 2010

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dana King said...

I'm sorry I'll miss your panels this year, Peter. They're always a delight. I'll catch you next year in St. Louis.

October 14, 2010  
Blogger Sean Patrick Reardon said...

Sounds like you are having a blast. Crista Faust is one hot..writer ;)

October 14, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks, Dana. The first panel went well, with only the usual complaint that time was far too short. But really -- we did have abbreviated versions of both my panels in the bar last night, and I expect tonight will be no different. In fact, I invited today's attendees to continute the discussion in the bar after dinner.

October 14, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Aye, Sean, she is. No one has taken this year's annual Christa Faust picture, but that will happen. And I hope the world will get a chance to read more by her soon. Her new book has been held up by the upheaval at Hard Case Crime, but I think you can still read an excerpt at the Hard Case site.

October 16, 2010  
Blogger Ali Karim said...

It was great starting my B'con adventure seeing you when we arrived at our hotel, and that post B'con dinner and all the knobblers1 Great seeing you Peter as ever, now back in London!

October 20, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I am the A and the O! And you are the one who makes your fellow diners squirt spaghetti out their noses with laughter. I look forward to the next dinner, and I hope you made through your airports all right.

October 20, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home