Monday, January 18, 2016

Shtetl, with a glottal stop

Rick Ollerman, Adrian McKinty
You haven't lived until you've heard an Irishman say "shtetl." Thanks to Adrian McKinty, I can now say I've lived.

Oh, sure the audience at Sunday's Noir at the Bar in New York ate up McKinty's reading from his latest novel, Rain Dogs, and sure, his was not the evening's only good reading, but that was no shock. Hearing shtetl pronounced with a glottal stop, on the other hand, was an experience I never thought I'd have. (McKinty's wife's ancestors were from a shtetl, in case you were wondering how the subject came up.)

MC Todd Robinson
Rick Ollerman was there, too, and was too polite to correct me when I kept referring to his fine novel Shallow Secrets as Shallow Grave. Rick Ollerman: Editor, novelist, mensch.

Dennis Tafoya
The Philadelphia area's own Dennis Tafoya read from a work in progress—searing, hard-hitting stuff from one of the original readers from back when I created Noir at the Bar in 2008. (Dennis read the next year.)

New York's Noirs at the Bar happen at Shade Bar, and accolades to the bartender, Laurie, who not only mixes a good Hendrick's and tonic, but also knew my name. And thanks to Suzanne Solomon and Tim Hall, who joined forces for a two-part reading; Dana Cameron; Danny Gardner; Vincent Zandri; and Jason Pinter, who also read, and to Jen Conley, who sat quietly in the audience without organizing an event, reading a story, or announcing her engagement, all of which she tends to do at Noirs at the Bar.
Danny Gardner

Adrian McKinty, Suzanne Solomon, Tim Hall
© Peter Rozovsky 2015

Labels: , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Peter

Indeed, it was a lot of fun. And thanks for keeping the confidential stories, er, you know, confidential...

January 18, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

What confidential stories?

January 18, 2016  
Blogger seana graham said...

Man, does that gin look inviting. I'm glad you all connected, despite a dusting of snow...

January 18, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

A little baby flurry, just enough to add some atmospheric blurs and annoying splotches to some of the outdoor photos I took before the event.

January 18, 2016  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Peter

Exactly.

January 18, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Whatever I say, I'll say—

January 18, 2016  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

to coin a phrase...

January 18, 2016  
Blogger Jen Conley said...

Hahahahaha! :)

January 18, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Adrian, the only time knee caps came up is when I complained about my sore patellar tendon to Rick Ollerman, whose wife is a physical therapist.

January 18, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Jen, you have given future Noir at the Bar hosts much to live up to. Most just swear and read and drink. You do it all.

January 18, 2016  
Blogger Jen Conley said...

I'm thinking of baking cookies and handing them out at the next N@B.

Just kidding.

January 18, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

You had me going until your comment's final two words. I am crushed.

January 18, 2016  
Blogger Dana King said...

I've never heard of an unsuccessful Noir at the Bar, but this sounded particularly good. I'm sorry to have missed a rare chance to meet Adrian, but I had a previous engagement. Next time.

January 19, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Dana, he'll be in New York for a few months. And we're trying to set up a Noir at the Bar in Philadelphia where I can read. Yep, this was a good event. People hung around the bar later than those abstemious, early-to-bed New Yorkers usually do.

January 19, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home