Friday, December 16, 2016

"Merry Christmas to All, and to All a Goodis Night" (An annual holiday tradition)

Turn over, baby. You’re burning up," she cooed. “Let me do your front.”

 The fat red man purred. Then he opened his mouth and screamed. He awoke from the dream jammed down the chimney, flames licking at his back. From above, a shaft of weak, sooty light and murmured voices.

 “But, Rudy, what about—”

“Leave the fat guy. I’m out of here. Who’s with me?”

“I’m in,” a voice said.

“Dasher?”

“Yeah.”

"You on, Dancer? Prancer? Vixen? Comet? Good. Let’s go.”

 Back down in hell, the fat red man shut his eyes and heard them exclaim as they drove out of sight …

— Peter Rozovsky 
© Peter Rozovsky 2014

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger seana graham said...

Nice one, Peter. Well, maybe not so nice, but you know, good.

December 12, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks. I even read this one in public, at a Noir at the Bar, and received an appreciate laugh or two. I should try to write another one now that the spirit is upon me.

December 12, 2015  
Blogger seana graham said...

Indeed. The ghost of Christmas future, perhaps.

December 12, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I just wrote an opening sentence that has to do with craft beer, last meals, and a medical test not often mentioned in polite company.

December 13, 2015  
Blogger seana graham said...

Surely the company we keep here isn't THAT polite...

Looking forward to the finished story.

December 13, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I look forward to the second sentence.

December 13, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Not polite, but that story would put into circulation a word that has never appeared here at Detectives Beyond Borders.

December 13, 2015  
Blogger RTD said...

Naughty but nice noir . . . Merry Christmas from the blog-master at Masters of Mystery (a.k.a., R. T. (Tim) Davis).

December 20, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks, and the same to you.

December 20, 2016  
Blogger Rick Ollerman said...

And now Christmas is ruined for me. I should have known better than to show this to my small children without reading it first.

December 23, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Yeah, I guess this piece may not be suitable for children.

December 23, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home