Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Bouchercon, Part II

I ate five meals here.
I'll organize this year's Bouchercon 2015 posts thematically, beginning with out-of-panel conversations, mostly from the bars at the Marriott and Sheraton hotels. The interlocutors and their subjects included:
Megan Abbott, Lawrence Block
Megan Abbott
Michael Sears, one half
of the team that writes
as Michael Stanley
1) Hillary Davidson on digestive syndromes and international travel
2) Her husband, Dan, on New York bagels and where to find them
3) My second-generation homie Alexandra Sokoloff on Jewish migration from everywhere
4) Sam Wiebe on books and authors, though I can't remember which ones
5) Wallace Stroby on Dashiell Hammett
6) Suzanne Solomon on Israel and writers named Roth 
And thanks to Eryk Pruitt for staging an entertaining and atmospheric Noir at the Bar in Raleigh and for posting the following. And yes, I know that probably should be "bill" rather than "beak," but I don't edit the past:
Noir at the Bar MC
Tracey Coppedge

Eryk Pruitt
Eryk Pruitt:@reverenderyk 14m 14 minutes ago Many great quotes at ‪#Bcon2015. Among them: "Daffy Duck is like David Goodis, but with a beak."--@DBeyondBorders (Peter Rozovsky)

Bill Crider
John McFetridge
Eryk is a good sort, and he was gracious enough to give me a shout-out for inventing Noir at the Bar and staging the first ones. So Detectives Beyond Borders likes him.
Annamaria Alfieri, Terrence McCauley, Rita Ramirez McCauley, Dana King 
© Peter Rozovsky 2015

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dana King said...

Noir at the Bar was exceptional, and I mean no disrespect to any previous incarnations. The entire weekend went above and beyond expectations. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.

October 14, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Yes, it was a fine Bouchercon, and a fine Noir at the Bar, too. I'm signed up for New Orleans already, but I'm warning you" I don't hang with ------s.

October 14, 2015  
Blogger seana graham said...

Sorry to have missed all this. So near and yet so far...

October 14, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

It occurred to me that you were just a flooded road or two away, and this was an especially good one, too. Next year is in New Orleans, which I suspect will be enjoyable as well. If you consider attending, I suggest you sign up early, because I suspect this one will be well subscribed.

October 14, 2015  
Blogger seana graham said...

Yes, it was a little maddening, but on the other hand I had a good time in Charleston and environs with my cousins so it was always going to be a spoiled for choice dilemma. I definitely have New Orleans in my sites.

October 14, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

And don't forget 2017 in Toronto, where you will learn what a good Montreal-style bagel is.

October 15, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home