Saturday, September 20, 2014

My Bouchercon panels: "I met Gloria at a fly-by-night school in Long Beach"

This post's title is taken from The Double Take, by Roy Huggins, a great creator and co-creator of television series (Maverick, 77 Sunset Strip, The Fugitive, The Rockford Files) who, according to Max Allan Collins, might have become one of the giants of crime writing had he not gone Hollywood.

Collins knows his Huggins, and he'll talk about Huggins as part of a panel I'll moderate at Bouchercon 2014 in the very same Long Beach where Norma Shannon met "Gloria" in The Double Take.

Roy Huggins
The panel is called Beyond Hammett, Chandler, and Spillane: Lesser Known Writers of the Pulp and Paperback Eras, and it happens at 3 p.m, Friday, Nov. 14.

In the meantime, read the Thrilling Detective Web Site on Huggins,  Stephen J. Cannell's memories of Huggins and a summing up of Huggins' television career from the Museum of Broadcast Communications, complete with an impressive list of credits.

© Peter Rozovsky 2014

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger seana graham said...

This really should be a good panel, especially given the locale. My copy of Sleep With Strangers arrived the other day. I hope I'll have time to read it before the conference.

September 21, 2014  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I am excited about both my panels this year, and I think both Dolores Hitchens and Roy Huggins (and Paul Cain, too) will keep me especially alert for any traces of Long Beach circa middle of the 20th century. Allthose writers, plus Kevin Starr, have me more ware of California's past than I was a year and a half ago.

By the way, I asked James Ellroy Wednesday evening what was the best book about Los Ange;es. "What Makes Sammy Run," he said.

September 21, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home