Monday, September 01, 2014

An off-kilter noir photo at Off the Cuff

(Photograph by Peter Rozovsky,
your humble blogkeeper)
Once again Dietrich Kalteis and friends sit for a chat among authors at Kalteis'  Off the Cuff site, this time to talk about character, dialogue, and dialect. Here's a sample of the discussion:
"Back to the accent/dialect question: you can do more with it - with perhaps more reader interest - than simply using a typical vocabulary or syntax of a place. You can use dialect-like giveaways and ‘verbal tics’ to reveal many aspects of character, while also making your characters separate and distinct from one another."
Read the complete discussion at Dietrich's place under the heading Off the Cuff 5.
*
Kalteis demonstrates once again that the right side of his brain works as well as the left. He's a novelist, he also has an eye for photography, and he again illustrates Off the Cuff with one of my noir photo (left).  Here are the first two noir shots of mine that he used (click the link, then scroll down)  and, if you're on Facebook, here are all my noir shots.

© Peter Rozovsky 2014

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Mary Beth said...

Finally, I am going to get to use the $25.00 word I added to my vocabulary in an art appreciation class years ago - chiaroscuro. The black and white effects of noir photography need that word.

I don't know where you were, but I hope you got away safely.

September 02, 2014  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

T thank you for your comment, and here's a related word that may be worth $26.50: sfumato.

The only danger I have encountered in that area came from a woman who thought I was a Peeping Tom and called the cops even though I was shooting nowhere near her or anyone else's windows.

September 02, 2014  
Anonymous Mary Beth said...

I like that one. It's well worth $26.50.

A Peeping Tom? I had to smile. You and your camera are going to have some interesting times.

September 02, 2014  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Yeah, South Philadelphia doesn't go for that artsy-fartsy stuff about taking pictures of trees and the moon.

September 02, 2014  
Blogger seana graham said...

Well, I'm a McKinty fan, so that's hard to beat, but how about Carlo Lucarelli for his Inspector De Luca series? Talk about your difficult wartime identities.

September 04, 2014  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Seana, I think you meant to post that comment here, so that's where I'l answer.

September 05, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home