Friday, March 01, 2013

Eastern Shore noir

Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, Dorchester
County, Md. Photos by your humble blogkeeper
How noir is Maryland's Eastern Shore? I ate dinner this evening under one large poster from Cape Fear and another from Out of the Past. It takes a tough man to lend his name to a tender steak.

My nice haul at Mystery Loves
Company in Oxford.
When not eating at Mitchum's Steakhouse (really, the blackened rib eye was fine, and so, to the eternal credit of cattleman Mitchum, was the salad), I made a nice haul at Mystery Loves Company in Oxford. The book at the upper left is not, in fact, confidential. It's The Ravagers, by Donald Hamilton, back cover up by mistake.

We drive by night.


© Peter Rozovsky 2013

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, the glorious, florid world of paperback pulp originals. I wonder why more publishers (Hard Case excepted) do not turn back the calendar and rely upon good old-fashioned cover-art marketing. Those were the good old days. Even when the novels were wretched, the covers were treasures.

March 02, 2013  
Blogger Kelly Robinson said...

I guess noir lurks everywhere.

I remember posting something in your comments once about Knoxville (my hometown) -- was it the Knoxville reference in Pulp Fiction? Anyway, Knoxville has turned up twice in the Horace McCoy book I'm finishing up right now: Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye. It's so good, I almost can't take it.

March 02, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

R.T., along with the books in the photo, I bought a sampler that contained chapters from Hard Case Crime's first three novels.

In re cover art, in Richard S, Prather's case, the jokes are as over the top as the covers.

March 02, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Kelly, I am not making this up, but the book I will finish right now is Horace McCoy's Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye. The ice has just been delivered, Jinx is out of the way, "Cotter" and Holiday have made violent, depraved love, and ...

March 02, 2013  
Blogger Kelly Robinson said...

Whoa! Serendipity! Isn't it great? I've got I Should Have Stayed Home ready to go next.

March 02, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I had They Shoot Horses, Don't They? on deck, at least until my recent purchases. My McCoy binge was sparked by his story "The Mopper-Up," which is available free online and which I recommend.

March 02, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home