Sunday, December 19, 2010

More Chandler and two fine openings from John Lawton

I can't get away from this Chandler thing. I've started Frank Miller's Sin City, an early landmark in the current golden age of crime comics, and both the first volume's title and its occasional wisecracks are obvious Chandler tributes. That title? The Hard Goodbye.
***
Back in the non-graphic world, John Lawton's A Lily of the Field promises another aborbing and touchingly human look at civilian life during wartime. Here's the beginning of the prologue (and no one writes better prologues than Lawton: "It had not been the hardest winter."

And here's the opening of Chapter One:

"The war began as a whisper—a creeping sussurus that she came to hear in every corner of her childhood—by the time it finally banged on the door and rattled the windows it had come to seem like nature itself."
© Peter Rozovsky 2010

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Peter

Funny thing is that although I LOVE Frank Miller, I hated Sin City.

December 20, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

We shall have to discuss this further some time when I am working at a task less challenging and absorbing than the one I'm working on now.

December 20, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Interesting you should love Frank Miller but hate Sin City. A colleague who has read more comics than I have says noir comics, rather than superhero stuff, were Miller's main interest.

As for me, I just can't get interested in superhero comics. Yeah, they're angst-ridden. I get the point, and probably would have got it in the late 1980s had I been reading comics then.

But give me Watchmen or Top 10 any time.

December 20, 2010  
Anonymous Elisabeth said...

Just started reading this book. Think I'm going to like it. I suggest Lawton give the title Troy Said Nothing to the final installment in the series.

January 06, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Man, he knows how to tell a story.

January 06, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home