Thursday, January 28, 2010

Crime Factory and classical gas

Who's in Issue #1 of Crime Factory? Ken Bruen, Adrian McKinty, Scott Phillips and Dave White, for a start. (A hat tip to Crime Scene NI.)

Bruen offers an excerpt from an upcoming novel, Killer, that looks to be as good as anything I've read by him, and it contains as pertinent a bit of self-reference as any I've read in crime fiction.

McKinty's contribution is a "making of" journal about his novel Fifty Grand, and Phillips offers an appreciation of Charles Willeford and what Willeford meant to his own writing. Lots of places publish crime fiction. Crime Factory offers glimpses of some of the sharp minds that create the stuff. May it live long.

*******
Over at A dead man fell from the sky ... , meanwhile, blogkeeper/author/classicist Gary Corby has been soliciting nominations for song titles of antiquity. My humble suggestions include:

"Get Bacchae (to Where You Once Belonged)"

"You Can Call Me Alcestis"

"Liver and Let Die" (This one's about Prometheus)

"Saturday Night's All Right for Phaëtōn"
You might also like a contribution from another reader that I wish I had come up with:

"I Want A Girl Just Like The Girl That Married Dear Old Dad" by Oedipus
© Peter Rozovsky 2010

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger adrian mckinty said...

I say print it out. One day it'll be like having Detective Comics #27 or something.

January 28, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

It's already printed out and held together by the greedy little teeth of a metal clamp.

January 28, 2010  
Anonymous marco said...

My v-word is patinato, but I instead hope this new magazine won't be too glossy.

...

I see Adrian was so in awe of your puns that couldn't think of anything himself.
You pwned him, as the young folks say.

January 28, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

When it comes to puns, Adrian is Pedro Martinez*, and I'm his daddy* -- the Yankees.*


* -- The above are references to a player, a team and a well-known utterance in baseball, a sport played with ball, bats, leather gloves and steroids, and popular in Japan, Cuba, South Korea, the Dominican Republic and the United States of America.

January 28, 2010  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

what about that great Bonnie Tyler 80's cheesefest about a lute playing pyromaniac: I'm Holding Out For A Nero

January 28, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I prefer the emperors who write for newspapers. When in Rome, I always enjoy Trajan's Columnn.

January 28, 2010  
Blogger Linkmeister said...

Antiquity, huh? Hmm. I'm looking through my iTunes library and can find lots of titles that would fit Shakespeare, but my classical education is too far back (heh).

January 29, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Ah, I don't have much of a classical education to speak of. All I know and remember are the names that lend themselves readuly to low word play.

January 29, 2010  
Blogger Linkmeister said...

I left three or four over there, mostly biblical.

January 29, 2010  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Ah, thanks. I'll take a look. The suggestions had already taken a detour into ancient Msopotamia, so I have no reason to suspect biblical references will be unwelcome.

January 29, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home