Sunday, December 06, 2009

Just call me Daddy War Books

Readers responded in good number to Friday's post about wartime crime fiction. One suggested I post a list of the nominated books and authors, and here it is:

Alan Furst
John Lawton
— Andrew Taylor's
Lydmouth series
David Downing, Silesian Station and Zoo Station
Jo Walton: Farthing, Ha'penny, and Half a Crown
Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels
Jacqueline Winspear
Rebecca Pawel's Carlos Tejeda series (suggested by Rebecca Pool in response to a post about Rebecca Cantrell)
City of Gold by
Len Deighton
Marshall Browne, The Eye of the Abyss and The Iron Heart
Charles McCarry

Some readers noted that their suggestions would usually be considered espionage novels or thrillers, but they offered good arguments for including them on a crime reader's list. I made the post to increase my own TBR list and to give a shout-out to good books I might (might!) not get around to reading right away. You helped me do both. Thanks, gentle readers.

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger R/T said...

"Daddy War Books," thanks for posting the consolidated list, and--even more importantly--thanks for sharing your new moniker. I needed to smile about something today, and "Daddy War Books" was the perfect catalyst.

December 07, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks. You should have more reason to smile in a few days. I was woefully overdue in sending you a book you'd won in a Detectives Beyond Borders quiz, but I mailed the book a few hours ago. The book affords further opportunity for wordplay on "war."

December 07, 2009  
Blogger R/T said...

I had forgotten about the book/prize. Thank for your sending it along, and, when it arrives, I look forward to deciphering your clue: "war."

December 07, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

It will require little deciphering.

December 07, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know J. Robert Janes books set in Occupied France? Soho published several of them; Salamander, the Beekeeper, Mannequin. His detectives, a French Surete Inspector and a German (Gestapo? Can't remember) solve 'regular' murders durig the war,
Cara

December 24, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I know of that series, and I think I've mentioned it a time or two here. I remember being put off by a short preface to the books. It seemed as if Janes was protesting too much about his not condoning "what happened during these times." Of course, that says absolutely nothing about the book that follows the preface.

December 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home