Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bouchercon I

Arrived in Indianapolis a full day ahead of the formal start of Bouchercon, which meant a few hours for socializing and for taking midnight pictures of the city's imposing Soldiers and Sailors Monument.

Ran into old friends from previous conventions -- Anita Thompson, Dennis Tafoya, Toby and Bill Gottfried, Janet Rudolph, Jon Jordan (who is already hard at work on Bouchercon 2011) and so on. Ran into Ali Karim as well, but then, one is always running into Ali Karim at these affairs.

Dinner turned into a Pied Piper parade that dwarfed what I'd experienced at previous cons. About thirty of us all told wolfed down pasta, and each of us was asked to stand, introduce him or herself, and name the best book he or she had read this year. A few votes came in for Louise Penny (Canadians were well represented at the dinner), and one each for Timothy Hallinan's Breathing Water and Megan Abbott's Queenpin, both of which I endorsed.

Donna Moore stood and thrust her head straight into the low-hanging lampshade at left. It set off her hair nicely.

Tomorrow, my translation panel, plus an Irish crime fact and fiction discussion that includes Ruth Dudley Edwards and Stuart Neville.

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a shade like that somewhere, in case Donna wants one more permanently.

October 15, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Poor woman. When the trauma hits with full force, she'll probably drown her sorrows by going shoe-shopping.

October 15, 2009  
Anonymous marco said...

Last week I have attended two crime in translation panels and missed a third ( on translating Camilleri, with Stephen Sartarelli, Jan Ronglien his Norwegian translator a very funny guy , and others).
The two I attended were at the Pisa Book Festival, one on
Simenon and the other on translating crime/noir with, among others, Luca Conti , Italy's best crime fiction translator from English.
Lots of interesting insights, but don't ask for a report; I've mailed you an unrelated article on translating dialect instead.
Ciao
Marco

October 15, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

You should have been at my panel as well. I quoted, to the panelists' unanimous approval, Sartarelli on the impossibility of rendering a proper equivalent of Camilleri's "linguistic stew" and the desirability of instead capturing his spirit.

I shall have to investigate Luca Conti further. Thanks.

I can also sympathize with your difficulties providing a precise report. Perhaps I'll able to provide a precise report of my own later; now, all is a blur. But the panelists and the panel could not have been better, I think.

October 15, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home