Friday, May 22, 2009

True, er, crime?

Thursday's front-page story in the Derry News told of Republican Action Against Drugs' denial that it was responsible for threats against a local drug kingpin and of its warnings to anyone who made threats in its name without its knowledge. The short item included the following:

"[The warning] comes after it was reported earlier this week that the group had issued a death threat against a man referred to as the so called `Cocaine King' of Derry.

"However, in a statement to the Derry News, RAAD said they issued no such statement — but would nevertheless execute the man in question `at a time of their own choosing.'"
In other news, I took a walk along Derry's marvelously preserved walls. Enjoyed a sweeping view of the Bogside as local maven Garbhan Downey pointed out the sights and narrated the area's dramatic history. That history includes the 1689 Siege of Derry, which gave rise to the more romantic of the city's two nicknames that I learned today. (The other moniker, Stroke City, is said to reflect the mark that separates the city's two names, Derry/Londonderry, when care is taken to respect both sides in the historic Irish-English divide.

Then afternoon tea and talk of crime, fiction and crime fiction with Downey and Brian McGilloway.

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger adrian mckinty said...

I may have told you before of my favourite two towns in New Hampshire: Derry and Londonderry - which are only a few miles apart. They still couldnt get along even after 3000 sea miles the poor buggers.

May 22, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Adrian, I was a wee bairn when the Troubles began. We would take family vacations in New England, and I would be confused when we drove through or past Derry and Londonderry. Where was all this fighting I keep hearing about on the radion and television? I wondered.

May 22, 2009  
Blogger seana graham said...

lkjoijl, you are too advanced for the likes of poor us. I am assuming you are a random visitor from the future and am so sorry to inform you that we have not yet got those little decoders transplanted into our brains that allow us to speak machine language. It's a bit tragic, as I'm sure that you are trying to impart information about what has happened to Derry--Londonderry, both Stateside and in Ireland. It would be so good to know if, say, peace had overuled all dissention, but unfortunately, despite all your good will, we are just going to have to wait and see.


My v word is "poiddu". Hope that means something to you, lkjoijl, as sure doesn't speak to me.

May 22, 2009  
Blogger seana graham said...

That would be 'overruled' and 'dissension' for anyone here who is a stickler for both typing and spelling.

May 22, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Blogger's help files are full of complaints about our interloper but no solutions, though.

May 23, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

But can you find any typos in lkjoijl's message?

V-word: sting

May 24, 2009  
Blogger seana graham said...

I cannot. But then, I am not a copy editor.

May 24, 2009  
Blogger seana graham said...

Oh, and 'sting' is so apropos--if only we could employ one.

May 24, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'm pretty sure lkjioijl has a run-on sentence or two in there.

May 25, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

And I hope I spelled its name correctly. Ordinarily I'd copy the name and paste into my comment, but it seems to be a quirk of the United Kingdom that copy and paste does not work at computers in its airports. I have tested this in England and Scotland, and I feel sure it will one day be recognized with left-side-of-the-road driving and rainy weather as a byword of British life.

May 25, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home