Monday, April 27, 2009

A Fifty Grand day

Today is release day for Fifty Grand by Detectives Beyond Borders favorite Adrian McKinty. The book opens with what has to be the most gut-clenchingly tension-upping prologue in all of crime fiction, and it goes on to tell a story about Cuba, espionage and the human costs thereof.

It's also about class distinctions, exploitation of immigrants and celebrity worship in America, which means it's always timely, and its protagonist takes a dizzying journey from privilege of a kind over to something quite opposite.

In typical McKinty fashion, deadpan funny lines find their way into the action at the most desperate moments:

`Listen to me, buddy, I can make you rich. I can get you money. A lot of money. Millions. Do you understand? Millions of dollars. Goddamnit! Why don't you understand, what's the matter with you? Millions of dollars? Do you speak English? Do you understand the goddamn English language?'

I do. It was my major.
When you're done reading the book and touting it on Amazon.com and elsewhere, try McKinty's splendid Michael Forsythe trilogy: Dead I Well May Be, The Dead Yard and The Bloomsday Dead.

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Cher Peter (isnt that what you charming Canadians say?) thank you so much for the plug. I really appreciate it. This is kind of like the birth of a child for me, (except with a lot more panic and screaming obviously).

v word schlap which is what happens when you're late from your schlep.

April 27, 2009  
Blogger Loren Eaton said...

This one's on my reading list.

April 27, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Je vous en prie, mon cher irlandais/americain/australien. Le plaisir est a moi. And no puking in the middle of the night, I hope.

It must be a weird sensation for an author when a book begins its public life so long after the author has finished work on it, like a double birth, I imagine. Or more like a birth and, if one comes from the right social circles, a debutante's debut.

April 27, 2009  
Blogger R/T said...

FYI . . . I've taken the liberty of citing and linking your McKinty recommendation over at my blog site. Now, I'm off to the bookstore to add yet another of your recommendations to my books-to-read pile.

April 27, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

As well it should be, Loren. Buy it and the other books, take them to Australia, and I'm sure Mr. McKinty would be happy to sign them for you.

April 27, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Fook, R.T., together we're getting America spending again.

April 27, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

R.T. - don't put it on the pile. Just start reading. Today.

April 28, 2009  
Blogger Dana King said...

I finished reading Fifty Grand Sunday night. Hell of a read. I'm going to have to find me a copy of DIWMB. It's the only McKinty I've missed.

April 28, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Dana, there should be copies around. I got mine either through ABE or from my local public library.

Like Fifty Grand, DIWMB has a gripping opening (though of a different kind), so I expect the book won't take you many sittings to read.

April 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home