Friday, March 27, 2009

What I did on my vacation

This is the wrong part of California, but something here puts me in mind of Raymond Chandler. Maybe it's the storefront Ocean View Card Room, or maybe the sun-bleached stucco of the Neptune Apartments -- just the place where a dame like that would live, I thought. People came here looking for paradise and found the end of the earth instead.

But they didn't come in brand-new Duesenbergs that must have cost five grand. And they didn't wear fedoras. And their name wasn't ... Eddie. I ducked behind a palm tree, but there were no palm trees in this part of the state, and that damned species wasn't even native to California. So I went next door, ordered a double mocha decaf latte, and sat down to wait ... and wait ...

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

I hope the waiting was well worth it! Did she ever show up? ;)

Peter, what is that a photo of?

March 27, 2009  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

banana slug pie - delicious. or am I thinking of something else?

March 27, 2009  
Anonymous marco said...

Love the banana slugs- (not in a pie).

March 28, 2009  
Blogger Linkmeister said...

Petra, I think Peter is in Santa Cruz, Ca. The banana slug (nice pic, btw) is the official mascot of the UC-Santa Cruz athletic teams.

The larger question is, why is Peter there?

March 28, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Petra, if I told you whom I was waiting for and what those things in the picture are, the camera would zoom in for a tight shot of my face. My eyes would widen, and my mouth would freeze with the words on my lips. Then a soft pop! pop! of gun shots, retreating footsteps, and dramatic music.

No, wait, I'm getting myself mixed up with Elisha Cook Jr.

March 28, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

And a big huzzah to those of you who recognized our little yellow friends as banana slugs. I've never met one and person, and every picture I've seen of one has been either adorable or loathsome. Yep, there's no two ways with banana slugs. You either love 'em or you hate 'em.

March 28, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

And in a pie, I'd hate 'em.

March 28, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

And yes, I am in Santa Cruz. Yesterday I posted pictures of small, yellow slow-moving creatures. Today I hope to see some immense, immobile red ones.

March 28, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I had breakfast in a vegetarian diner two days ago. I wonder if the menu included a banana slug substitute.

March 29, 2009  
Blogger petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

LOL at the comments! :))

March 30, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Banana slugs make everyone go all warm and fuzzy.

March 30, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home