Sunday, July 08, 2007

I'll be back to normal soon

I'm wrapping up a week at the beach with my brother, his wife, and my two nephews, Chum and Shark Food. I recommend North Carolina's Outer Banks heartily as a holiday destination, and I can offer some constructive advice: Don't wear your glasses into the ocean if the waves are over your head. Happily, I had brought a spare pair.

Until I resume my usual volume of reading, I point you toward an intriguing note on Crime Down Under about The Nelson Conspiracy: "As a bit of background to the story around which it is based, the Juanita Nielsen murder is one of Australia's most intriguing mysteries and all began when she went to an appointment at a Kings Cross nightclub and disappeared. She had been leading a vigorous campaign against a redevelopment in the Kings Cross area at the time of her disappearance."

The theme may well resonate with fans of Peter Temple, several of whose works involve shady property development deals. Author Barry Ward weighs in with a dissenting comment, and I'll take the liberty of adding the Nelson/Nielsen killing to my list of What real-life events have inspired waves of crime fiction?

© Peter Rozovsky 2007

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave Knadler said...

Ha! So you fell for the old "wearing glasses in the surf" trick. Somewhere offshore near Tom's River, N.J., there's a pair of sunglasses I am finally learning to forget. Never turn your back on the sea, matey. She'll feast on your spectacles for sure.

July 09, 2007  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I felt like a complete ass even before an obliging fellow swimmer retrieved my baseball cap and returned it to me. Glasses and water do not mix.

July 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home