Wednesday, April 18, 2007

New issue of Mystery Readers Journal

The Spring 2007 issue of Mystery Readers Journal is online and off the presses. It includes essays and reviews by Reed Farrel Coleman, Adrian Hyland, S.J. Rozan, Barbara Nadel, the Friends of Chester Himes, and many more, including a review by yours truly of Hyland's Diamond Dove (to be titled Moonlight Downs in its U.S. release from Soho Press).

Each issue of Mystery Readers Journal is devoted to a theme, often of special interest to readers of international crime fiction. Recent issues discussed mysteries set in Italy and mysteries set in the Far East, for example.

The new issue is the first of two on ethnic detectives, with articles on "The Post-Charlie Chan Era", "Who Is Ethnic?", "The Outsiders" and other interesting, even provocative topics. The Mystery Readers Journal link gives you the table of contents for the print magazine, with links to selected articles available online and to information about Mystery Readers International.

© Peter Rozovsky 2007

Technorati tags:

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link Peter, the link very kindly provides a few of the articles for reading online. I'm dying to get hold of a copy of the Adrian Hyland book, it's unbelievable how difficult it is to get hold of Australian books in the UK! Also very good to see Barbara Nadel mentioned, IMHO she is criminally underrated in the UK.

April 19, 2007  
Blogger Karen (Euro Crime) said...

Never fear. Quercus is coming to our rescue. According to their catalogue Diamond Dove is scheduled for 2nd August with book two to follow in 2008.

I used to buy my Kerry Greenwood books from:
http://www.bookworm.com.au/.
They were very swift and quite reasonably priced.

April 19, 2007  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

You're welcome. Quercus will publish Diamond Dove in the UK in August 2007, according to Amazon.co.uk. I have an advance reader's copy that I bought online from Australia through ABEBooks.com -- and a real Australian edition that Adrian Hyland kindly sent along when he found out that all had was an ARC. I could easily become a fan of Quercus' crime-fiction list. It includes The Broken Shore and, I believe, the excellent Donald Westlake as well.

Barbara Nadel's article may spur me to read her books. I've visited Istanbul, and I'm curious to see how Nadel portrays it.

Mystery Readers Journal's links to selected articles are a tease. I want to read more! I liked what Reed Farrel Coleman had to say, for instance.

April 19, 2007  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

You're fast, Karen. I found your reply to Laura when I clicked "preview" to see mine before posting it. Thanks, Karen, and thanks, Quercus.

April 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, all is explained in these comments - I went to the magazine to try to read your review, and could not get to it.
I did read your link to your review on your blog, Peter, and think it is an excellent review. Really wants to make me want to read the book, so thanks for the info, Karen.
Nice to see Laura here -- who provides yet another author to read, sigh.

April 19, 2007  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks, Maxine. I had lots so say about Diamond Dove because it's interesting for lots of reasons. I'm pleased that my review makes you want to read the book.

I can sympathize with your plight of reader confronted by a surfeit of authors. I may have mentioned that my boss at work leaves books from the review pile on my desk from time to time. The last one was The Glass Devil by Helene Tursten. Today he left me Ice Moon. As bad as the Philadelphia ******er can get, it does provide a good book from time to time.

April 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home