- “Louis found Chip in the kitchen making himself a Bloody Mary and asked him, `Who’s Ezra Pound?’
“Chip said, `Ezra Pound,’ stirring his drink and then pausing. `He was a heavyweight. Beat Joe Louis for the crown and lost it to Marciano. Or was it Jersey Joe Walcott?’”
- “`Teachers always said reading poetry should be fun.’
“`It can be—unless you’re reading Ezra Pound.’”
- “They paid no attention to me and I repaid the compliment. Then how could I know they were paying no attention to me, and how could I repay the compliment, since they were paying no attention to me? I don’t know. I knew it and I did it, that’s all I know.”
- “Louis said the Shia fixed their hostages rice and shit, but no doubt would have given them TV dinners if they had any.”
- “To apply the letter of the law to a creature like me is not an easy matter. It can be done, but reason is against it. It is better to leave things to the police.”
- “`An officer of the law tells an undesirable like yourself to get out of town. It’s done all the time.’”
- “He had told Joyce last night he couldn’t think of anything he didn’t like to eat, though in the Chinese food line he’d only had chop suey and the other one.”
- “Four farts every fifteen minutes. It’s nothing. Not even one fart every four minutes. It’s unbelievable. Damn it, I hardly fart at all, I should never have mentioned it. Extraordinary how mathematics help you to know yourself."
- “`How do you come so much—and so fast? Even for a woman—'
“`I learned from the nuns. … They told me I’d go to hell for fucking—`impurity’—so I figured if I was already hellbound I’d enjoy every bit of the ride.’”
- "Cunnilingus in the office is frowned upon certainly, but he hasn’t heard of it as cause for automatic dismissal.”